My children told me that we were going to get some visitors in the weekend who had smaller children. Therefore we simply had to make a new set of stairs for the slide by the terrace.
This seemed like an ideal project to me. Nothing too fancy, outside in the balmy evening and both boys were really hooked on helping.
Gustav wanted to sand the entire structure, so he found a random orbit sander and I helped him installing some sandpaper. Asger originally wanting to assist me decided that sanding looked so fun that he wanted to do that as well.. We found another random orbit sander for him, and he started sanding the old bench and the chairs on the terrace.
I found a piece of 6 x 1½" larch that I deemed was suitable for the project. I copied the old stairs, so there wasn't much measuring involved.
I made a series of dados using a saw and a chisel. These are approximately 1 cm (3/8") deep. I didn't worry too much about getting the floor of the dados smooth, so the depth varied a little.
The steps were made from the same board and plainly inserted in the dados. They were secured with two screws, and the entire stairs were mounted on the tower of the slide.
The old stairs with a broken step.
Chiselling out the dados.
Testing the finished stairs.